When you buy a product through a link on our site, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
The 5 Best Camping Cookbooks
Looking for the best camping cookbooks? When we go on camping trips, one of the hardest parts is planning what to eat. While most people want to find a way to join a delicious meal without having to forage for food in the wilderness, it is hard for someone who doesn’t do this on a regular basis. For this reason, we have taken the time to compile camping cookbook reviews & ratings to enhance your recipes in the wilderness
In This Article
Best Choice: The New Camp Cookbook: Gourmet Grub for Campers
The New Camp Cookbook: Gourmet Grub for Campers, Road Trippers, and Adventurers is the best camping cookbook because it has a diverse amount of recipes, meaning it can appeal to pretty much everyone. It also guides readers through setting up a camping kitchen, and was written by an author with experience in the outdoors.
We believe that The New Camp Cookbook: Gourmet Grub for Campers, Road Trippers, and Adventurers is the top pick for best camping cookbook. Its diverse array of recipes makes it ideal for the experienced hiker, those going camping with family and friends, young friends looking for an adventure, and elderly individuals simply looking for a nice vacation. The cookbook comes complete with an array of advice for cooking delicious meals in the outdoors.
The recipes have been put together by Linda Ly, who has a tremendous amount of experience in the outdoors, in the kitchen, and as an author. This book contains recipes that will fit a variety of settings, including a midday meal, an enormous feast, a light snack, and delicious desserts. The book even comes with delicious beverage recipes, as well as how to set up a camping kitchen from start to finish. Those who are looking for a complete experience when cooking in the outdoors should give this book a try!
- The book has received numerous awards from outlets such as Time Magazine and Outside Magazine
- This book is comprehensive, discussing setting up a camping kitchen and beverage mixes
- There are recipes that are perfect for any time of day, including snacks, light meals, and large feasts
- The book is large and some people might have trouble finding exactly what they’re looking for
Premium Pick: Feast by Firelight: Simple Recipes for Camping, Cabins, and the Great Outdoors
Feast by Firelight: Simple Recipes for Camping, Cabins, and the Great Outdoors is the best camping cookbook because of its photography, which depicts how the meals should look when completed. It is written by an author with culinary experience, plus this book even includes a section on helping families prepare for their trip before they leave.
Feast by Firelight: Simple Recipes for Camping, Cabins, and the Great Outdoors is a fantastic cookbook that is designed to make premium cooking, even in the outdoors, feel like an effortless experience. Emma Frisch, the author, has a lot of experience in the culinary field and even starred on the Food Network. We found the tips throughout the book extremely helpful. There are sections in the book designed to help people prep for their camping meals at home.
We also liked how the book can help families pack efficiently before they leave. This book has more than 70 recipes, allowing everyone to find something to enjoy. We also liked the beautiful pictures because they allow us to have an image of what the meal should look like when it’s done! This book is a guide for how to cook five-star meals even while enjoying the rustic conditions of the outdoors. Anyone looking to truly impress should check out the recipes discussed in this book.
- The photography throughout this book is inspiring
- The book has a list of suggested camping cookware and tools to make cooking easier
- Emma helps people cook even the most challenging meals easily
- The recipes are very involved and aren’t easy to cook when someone is in a hurry
Best Value: Easy Campfire Cooking: 200+ Family Fun Recipes for Cooking Over Coals
Easy Campfire Cooking is the best camping cookbook because the recipes require simple tools. The meals can be cooked on a budget and involve the whole family in the cooking experience.
Easy Campfire Cooking is filled with more than 200 easy recipes that are designed for families to have fun while eating over the open coals. By Peg Couch, the book is designed to offer up meals that people can cook on a budget. Using a variety of fun tools ranging from sticks to tinfoil packets and even pie irons, the book is meant to get the entire family involved in the experience.
We particularly enjoyed the part explaining how families can cook three meals a day using nothing but tinfoil! Anyone who is looking to save money during their camping trip will want to look at some of the inexpensive and delicious recipes found throughout this book. We also enjoyed getting creative, using sticks and marshmallow roasting skewers for more than just smores.
- The recipes do not require expensive tools, rarely requiring anything more than standard silverware and tinfoil
- Safely building and maintaining a campfire tips are scattered throughout the book
- Delicious host desserts
- Some of the recipes appear to require a refrigerator
Runner Up: Fix It In Foil – Spiral-bound Camping Cookbook by CQ Products
Fix It In Foil is the best camping cookbook because it features easy-to-make recipes with easy cleanup requirements. With over 51 recipes, this book accomodates many people, and even includes ingredient substitution suggestions.
Fix it In Foil, from CQ Products, is a fantastic book that is designed for easy cleanup. On our past trips, some of our biggest frustrations come from the cleanup of the meal. It can be a challenge to scrub camping pots and camping skillets in a portable camping kitchen. With Fix It In Foil, the goal is to cook everything in a foil packet, which makes cleanup a breeze.
The book discusses exactly how to tear tinfoil and fold it to prevent people from losing their meals over the fire. While it might take some practice, everyone can cook delicious meals following the easy instructions. With 51 recipes, we feel there are plenty of meals to choose from, accommodating all tastes. We even enjoyed the ingredient substitution suggestions, making for an endless number of combinations.
- Many of these meals can be made in bulk, allowing for easier preparation and cleanup
- Everyone will learn how to cook over an open fire
- The book is lightweight and easy to pack
- With lots of foil, the book can feel repetitive
Honorable Mention: The Campout Cookbook: Inspired Recipes for Cooking Around the Fire
The Campout Cookbook: Inspired Recipes for Cooking Around the Fire and Under the Stars is the best camping cookbook because it comes with a variety of recipes. It also teaches how to start a campfire and provides a helpful packing list.
The Campout Cookbook: Inspired Recipes for Cooking Around the Fire and Under the Stars is a great cookbook from the minds of Marnie Hanel and Jen Stevenson. It was designed to accompany the other books in their series about cooking and eating in the outdoors. There are more than 75 recipes that cover a variety of meals, ranging from skillet pizzas to backcountry stews, roasted vegetables, and even bread made in cast-iron. This book even includes a variety of delicious desserts.
With so many recipes, it is time for everyone to get creative. The book even has helpful substitution suggestions for their recipes. Finally, for the adults in the group, there are even relaxing alcoholic beverages. Those looking to kick back and relax under the stars should pay close attention to this section.
- Teaches everyone how to start a campfire
- Includes a troubleshooting guide
- Provides a helpful packing list
- The recipes can be challenging for those who are new to cooking
Features to Consider for the Best Camping Cookbook
When someone is trying to find the best camping cookbook, it is important to take a look at the features. There are several points that everyone is going to want to keep in mind. Some of these include:
- Who is going on the camping trip? Some books are geared towards families with young children. Other books might be geared towards young adults or those who are camping with a large group of friends.
- Does the book include helpful information regarding starting a campfire? What about keeping a fire going? Tips on how to use tools? These added features will come in handy when people hit a roadblock during their cooking.
- Is there an easy-to-use ingredient list or packing list? When people go camping, it is important to pack as light as possible. This will make the trip much easier. Some of the recipes are easy to follow and simple to cook. Others might require a long ingredient list that starts to take up space.
- How varied are the recipes in the book? Some of the camping cookbooks have expansive recipes that guarantee everyone will find something they like. Other books might feel a bit repetitive and limit the types of meals people can cook.
- What about pictures and photography? For many people, it is helpful to have a picture of the meal at the end. This will give people a goal to shoot for with their cooking. A picture is a helpful guide during the cooking process, particularly when camping.
- Are there safety tips? While nobody assumes they are going to get hurt, many of these books have helpful safety advice. This includes working with an open flame, containing a campfire to a limited area, and using sharp tools safely.
This is a helpful list of features in various camping cookbooks that everyone should consider.
Benefits of Using Camping Cookbook
There are several benefits that come from relying on a camping cookbook. Some of these include:
- A helpful camping cookbook will help people plan in advance, for example for what camping spice containers to bring in advance. One of the most challenging parts of camping is planning healthy meals for the trip. By having it all planned out beforehand in an easy-to-follow book, it is easier to come up with a checklist for the trip.
- In addition, this camping cookbook will help people pack. Food takes up a lot of space when people go camping. Many of these books have a packing list that is easy to follow.
- The best camping cookbook will also help people learn how to cook over an open flame. Everyone will learn how to start a fire, use fire safely, and cook in an exposed area.
- Finally, individuals will also gain a lot of experience working with some unique tools. By relying on a camping cookbook, everyone can learn a new set of skills.
The benefits that come from using a reliable camping cookbook should not be overlooked.
Precautions When Using Camping Cookbook
Not all camping cookbooks are created equally. Some camping cookbooks are better for some people than others. A few of the points that everyone will want to keep in mind include:
- Who is the book meant for? Some books are meant for young adults while others might be meant for families with children.
- How expansive is the ingredient list? Some of these recipes are very involved and might require ingredients that are hard to find.
- Do the recipes require a refrigerator? Everyone camps differently and some might use an RV that has a fridge. Others might not.
- How challenging are the recipes to make? Some of these recipes might be tough for those who haven’t cooked in a campfire setting before. Think about the recipe choices carefully.
There are lots of camping cookbooks out there geared toward different audiences. People need to take the time to find the one that is right for them and their needs.
Ultimately, the best camping cookbook is The New Camp Cookbook: Gourmet Grub for Campers, Road Trippers, and Adventurers. We believe this book checks all the boxes. This book is suitable for nearly everyone of all ages and all camping situations. It sets itself apart from the other books on the list by including a comprehensive guide to setting up a camping kitchen. It includes a complete list of supplies and also has beverage mixes. Of course, this cookbook also has recipes for meals at any time of day for any situation. The book is practical and easy to follow. It fulfills all the needs for the best camping cookbook and will allow everyone to elevate their camping experience.