When you buy a product through a link on our site, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
The 5 Best Camping Heaters
When choosing what gear to bring camping, it is important for everyone to make sure they stay warm with the best camping heater for their next adventure, as camping in the rain, wind, and snow can all make it hard to stay comfortable. However, there are many camping heaters to choose from. Read our camping heater reviews & ratings to find the best tent heaters today.
In This Article
Best Choice: Mr. Heater Buddy 4,000-9,000-BTU Portable Propane Radiant Heater
Mr. Heater Buddy 4,000-9,000-BTU Indoor-Safe Portable Propane Radiant Heater is the best camping heater because it includes safety features, plus it is powerful and has a wide reach.
Our top pick for the best camping heater is the Mr. Heater Buddy 4,000-9,000-BTU Indoor-Safe Portable Propane Radiant Heater because there are a number of reasons why this heater is simply better than other options. First, this is one of the most powerful radiant heaters on the market. It will heat up to 225 square feet, giving it a large reach. This heater can be used both indoors and outdoors. This is the perfect heater for curling up next to in your camping chair. Furthermore, if the heater detects low oxygen levels, it has auto shut off functionality, giving it an added safety feature.
- Has a wide reach
- One of the most powerful heaters on the market
- Designed with the safety of the users in mind
- Burns through fuel relatively quickly
Premium Pick: Mr. Heater MH12B Hunting Buddy Portable Space Heater
Mr. Heater MH12B Hunting Buddy Portable Space Heater in Black is the best camping heater because it is easy to use, plus it has multiple safety features to keep users safe.
Our premium pick for the best camping heater is the Mr. Heater MH12B Hunting Buddy Portable Space Heater in Black because it includes a number of additions that set it apart from other options. First, this propane tent heater heater comes with a swivel regulator and a single control system, making it easy to use. This heater also has a safety addition, where it has a safety shut-off if it senses a low oxygen environment with excessive carbon monoxide. If this heater accidentally tips over, it will also shut off. Finally, this heater is runs on a propane tank.
- Has a number of automatic disabling features to keep users safe
- Can heat a wide area
- Runs on a reliable propane system
- It burns through propane faster than some of the other choices on this list
Best Value: TRUSTTECH Portable Safety Space Heater with Fast Heating
TRUSTTECH Portable Space Heater with Fast Heating and Tip-over Protection is the best camping heater because it can both warm and cool an area, plus it is very quiet during operation.
Our budget pick is the TRUSTTECH Portable Space Heater with Fast Heating and Tip-over Protection because it contains all the essentials that people look for in their portable heater. First, this heater can both heat and cool, making it useful in both the winter and the summer. It will heat an entire room or area. It has been tested to work for both indoor and outdoor use, and it features a tip-over switch to turn the space heater off if it’s knocked over. This quiet heater doesn’t burn through a large amount of energy in a short amount of time. Finally, this heater is also a cost-effective option, as it doesn’t cost much to purchase or run.
- One of the least expensive camping heater options on the market
- Both heats and cools an area, making it useful for both winter and summer
- One of the quietest heaters available and won’t overpower a room with its sound
- This heater does not heat as large an area as some of the other choices
Runner Up: Mr. Heater Little Buddy 3800-BTU Indoor Safe Propane Heater
Mr. Heater Little Buddy 3800-BTU Indoor Safe Propane Heater is the best camping heater because it contains safety features and can run for more than 5.5 hours.
Our selection for the runner up camping heater is the Mr. Heater Little Buddy 3800-BTU Indoor Safe Propane Heater because there are a number of important features that come with this camping heater. First, this heater is tested to heat close to 100 square feet, giving it a decent range. The heater also works without an odor. It also has an automatic shut-off if it senses a low oxygen environment. The instructions on the heater are easy to follow and use. The heater also has a relatively long life, having been tested to run for more than 5.5 hours.
- Has a relatively long life
- Includes an automatic shut-off safety feature
- This heater isn’t as durable as some of the other choices
Honorable Mention: Mr. Heater 29,000-45,000 BTU 540 Degree Tank Top Heater
Mr. Heater 29,000-45,000 BTU 540 Degree Tank Top Heater is the best camping heater because it can heat a large area and runs on natural gas. It also comes with brackets, fasteners, and an emergency shut-off feature.
Our choice for the honorable mention is Mr. Heater 29,000-45,000 BTU 540 Degree Tank Top Heater, which uses convection to generate a consistent flow of warmth. This is a powerful heater that generates warmth in a 360-degree radius. The range of this heater extends to cover a large area. This heater also comes with an emergency deactivation switch if something goes wrong. The heater runs on natural gas and has a convenient ignition built into the system. It generates heat in a comfortable, safe manner. This heater also comes with brackets and fasteners that can be used to secure the system.
- Generates warmth in every direction, keeping a crowd comfortable
- One of the most powerful options on the market
- Includes an emergency shut-off switch
- This heater can be a little bit challenging for some people to assemble
Features to Consider for the Best Camping Heater
In order to narrow down the options for the best camping heaters, it is a good idea to think about the features that might be present. Because everyone is going to have slightly different needs as they search for a camping heater, thinking about the features can help someone make the right decision. Some of the features to consider include:
- Is the camping heater safe? Safety always needs to come first. When someone is looking for a portable heater, there are a number of risks that people should keep in mind. The fuel source might be a bit risky. People might get burned. Maybe the temperature is hard to control. While most camping heaters are safe, it is still important to think about this important point.
- Is the temperature easy to control? Just because someone is cold doesn’t mean they need to be next to a blazing inferno. Hopefully, the camping heater will have an adjustable temperature dial to make it easy for someone to adjust the temperature if needed.
- How much area does the camping heater cover? It doesn’t help much if there is a crowd of people, yet the heater doesn’t extend out very far. Think about how much space can be covered by the camping heater.
- How durable is the camping heater? When someone is using a camping heater, this device is going to be exposed to the elements of the outdoors. This might include rain, wind, snow, sleet, and more. The camping heater needs to be able to stand up to this stress.
Clearly, there are many features that come with a camping heater. Thinking about exactly what is needed will help someone make the right choice as they look for the best camping heater on the market today. When someone elects to go with the best camping heater, there are a number of benefits that they will enjoy.
Benefits of Using Camping Heaters
Some of the most important benefits that people should keep in mind include:
- A portable camping heater is safe. It will heat a large area without placing someone in harm’s way. All of the top camping heaters have a number of added safety features that will keep everyone warm without placing their health at risk.
- A camping heater has the ability to heat a large area. We understand that most people go camping with more than one person. These camping heaters have the ability to warm a large space with ease the same way the best camping lantern lights up a large area.
- Camping heaters are able to stand up to the stress of the outdoors. We know that camping can lead to rain, wind, snow, and other adverse conditions. These heaters are able to stand up to this stress.
These are only a few of the many benefits that people will enjoy when they go with a high-quality camping heater. At the same time, there are also a number of precautions that people need to consider.
Precautions of Using Camping Heaters
When someone is using a camping heater, there are a number of precautions that people need to take. These precautions will not only help people find the right camping heater, but will also keep everyone safe. Some of the precautions that people need to keep in mind include:
- Does the heater have automatic shut-off features in mind if it detects unsafe conditions in the area? These safety features need to be present on a portable camping heater.
- What is the fuel source of the heater? Is it an electric heater? Does it run on propane? Will it need to run on a camping generator? Taking a look at the fuel source and the type of heater will help people better understand how the heater functions.
- How easy is it for someone to control the temperature of the heater? Some weather conditions might call for more heat than others. The ability to control the temperature within a given range is important.
Understanding these precautions will help people both select the best heater for their camping trip while also ensuring that safety stays at the top of the list.
In the end, our pick for the best camping heater is the Mr. Heater Buddy 4,000-9,000-BTU Indoor-Safe Portable Propane Radiant Heater. There are a few reasons why this heater is simply better than the other choices. First, this is one of the most powerful heaters for winter camping on the market. It will keep people warm even during a blinding snowstorm. Furthermore, this heater also has a wide reach and will heat everyone within 225 square feet. Finally, this heater has also been designed with a number of added safety features. For these reasons, we have settled on the Mr. Heater Buddy 4,000-9,000-BTU Indoor-Safe Portable Propane Gas Radiant Heater as our pick for the best camping heater.